Sunday, August 28, 2011

Early Loon

The Common Loon (Gavia immer) is never common in the mountains of West Virginia. It is a unusual find for August, in this region. I found this juvenile at Teter Creek Lake in Barbour County; on August 26, 2011. These photos were taken on 8/28/11.

The Common Loon is often found on our larger bodies of water; during the Winter and early Spring. the adults nest on wooded lakes of the North.

This individual seems quite happy at Teter Creek Lake. I pulled into the boat ramp area this afternoon. I scanned the lake, hoping it was still there. the photos I took on Friday were fairly pitiful. I couldn't find the bird and was ready to go to the other end of the lake. Up it popped at the floating dock; ten yards away! I was able to take several pretty good photos.

I may never have the opportunity to get photos of a Common Loon in juvenile plumage again; around here. So I was quite pleased with the results. The other birds of note today were two Savannah Sparrows feeding on the dam area and one Green Heron at the western side of the dam.

All Photos By High Virginia Images (c) All rights Reserved
Posted by High Virginia Outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment