Saturday, July 7, 2012

Glad You're Back

I stopped at my favorite summertime spot on Backbone Mountain, today. The milkweeds are in full bloom and vanilla fills the air. It was even hot up there today. Just a touch of breeze and Monarchs ! I was able to see five individuals at the same time. I believe that may be more than I saw up there all of last year; which was not a good Monarch year. One pair was in the process of mating and I am sure that there will be many eggs laid soon. I don't think I even found one caterpillar last year, up there. I do remember one crystalis which didn't hatch. Hopefully, 2012 will be a good year for the Monarch. They need a good year and deserve a break. I sure do love the smell of a big patch of milkweed in the hot Summer breeze. It just makes a miserably hot day just a little easier to tolerate. 

Posted by High Virginia Outdoors  Photo by High Virginia Images (c) 2012 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment