Wednesday, January 15, 2014

No Worries

Garlic (c) 2013 HVI
I planted my garlic on Columbus Day; just as I always do. When planted on this date, it is usually all up by Thanksgiving. Not this year. I walked out and looked at it on Thanksgiving Day. The first 20 feet or so was up; every single one. The next 10 feet or so (I'm not a measurer or straight line gardener) was barren, clear to the end. There was a single garlic plant emerged at the very end.

The first thing that popped in my mind was that I will have to buy garlic from someone in 2014. Then I began trying to figure out what happened. Logically, one would assume that I had planted a bad garlic clove. But, what about the one that came up on the end. It didn't make sense that there was one good clove out of the whole head. I had more garlic that could have been planted but decided that Thanksgiving was just too late. Oh well, I'll plant some first thing in March and hope it does well.

I walked out in the garden on January 14th and it is all up now. The row is complete. I don't know what happened, but all is well.

(c) 2014 High Virginia Outdoors All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment