Friday, January 31, 2014

REFLECTING

Least Sandpiper (c) 2013 HVI

We made it through another one. Some are making resolutions; knowing that they will not follow through. I would rather reflect and change some things. The spinning wheel is getting kind of old. We are all guilty of the over and over process. January is the time when we are waiting on spring. We wait and wait for the thaw. It arrives and we will run out and plant our lettuce, onions and peas. Then, the rains come. We get a couple of pleasant weeks, then it gets hot and we are waiting for autumn. Soon the snow will again be falling. Over and over; here we go again.
I've heard of some who can sit and watch the same movie over and over. Myself, if I've seen it once; that’s enough. Time is too precious to waste. You will realize this as you get older and wiser. New places are exciting to find and interesting to explore. I got to enjoy my most pleasant deer season, ever. Why? I found a new and interesting location; that apparently has yet to be found by others. I don’t know how many years I’ll get to utilize this spot. Something always happens to my good places. How did I find it? I found it because I am always looking for somewhere else. Sometimes I am rewarded. I actually found this location 3 years ago. I just never was able to go during deer season. I had the time in 2012 and was able to take advantage of the opportunity. I’m glad I did. I've pretty much been stuck hunting the same location for the last twelve years and I was sick of it after two.
Looking back at 2012; there weren't many high points or low points. It was pretty much the same old stuff as the same time as in previous years. Very predictable we get. Quick, what are you going to be doing on May 25? I’ll be planting tomatoes and trout heads. Yep, each tomato goes in on a fish head and a handful of compost. I’ll probably be dragging out the air conditioner at about that time, too. Every year is the same, except that we are a year older. Maybe not wiser; but guaranteed to be older.

I could easily sit here and write that I’m going to do this and that. I know that some of those statements will become true, but many will not. Dreaming and doing are two very different things. I prefer to search, explore and take advantage of the opportunities that arrive. Who knows what the future will bring? We all know the past. Pretty boring, wasn't it? The old routine will always be the same old things. New discoveries will always bring a sparkle to your eye and a little spring in your step. Yes, it is January and it is a long time until spring. Spring is good; it’s always something to look forward to; especially on a cold winter day. Happy New Year, but do something new.

This article first appeared in the January print edition of Two-Lane Livin (c) 2014 High Virginia Outdoors All Rights Reserved. Photo (c) 2013 High Virginia Images

No comments:

Post a Comment