Sunday, July 5, 2015

A BIG Year; So Far

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
I've had a pretty good bird year in 2015 and it is only July. Thanks to Facebook and WV Bird; it is easy to be notified of rarities. I am not going to drive 200 miles to look at gulls through a spotting scope; but there were some nice opportunities nearby. The first of the year was the Snowy Owl near Grafton and I was lucky enough to find it on my first attempt.

The most exotic place I have had to go to this year was Red House, MD for a lifer Upland Sandpiper (actually I drive past that location within a half-mile 2 or 3 times a week), but this was the farthest spot from my house.

In June we got a double whammy. Common Gallinule and a Red-necked Phalarope at the same spot and same time at Stonewall Jackson Lake The gallinule lingered for a while; the phalarope only for a day or so. Last Sunday (6/28) may have brought the most un-expected species to the area and it was only 7 miles away. I never thought one time about seeing a Black-bellied Whistling Duck in Randolph County, WV. But, there they were and once again I want to thank others for timely reporting on social media.

Always remember; the one and only key to seeing good stuff is: You Have To Be There When It Is...

(c) 2015 High Virginia Outdoors Photos (c)2015 High Virginia Images ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment