Thursday, August 20, 2015

Getting Interesting

It is finally starting to get interesting out there in the woods. It seems as if every rain shower brings on spurts of mushrooms. I know that many people enjoy looking for morels foe a couple of weeks every spring. I am not one of them. I would rather spend my time trying to get a few fish into the freezer at morel time.

There was a bumper crop of chanterelles out there in early to mid summer. I'm going to say this once. I don't like chanterelles. To me; they are bitter and leave a lingering bad aftertaste. The pink ones are even worse than the apricot variety. I don't like any of them.

Chicken of the Woods season has opened up early this year and I am happy about that. I didn't find any last year until mid-September. From that time on I found more than I ever have. I was still getting them well up into October. I ate the last ones from my freezer 2 weeks ago. August 18 seems to be the date that they started popping out in the mountains this year. I have already put around 25 pounds into the freezer; plus I've eaten quite a few over the last 3 days.

I depend on Chicken of the Woods and Oyster Mushrooms for my mushroom fix. They are without a doubt my 2 favorites and can be found in adequate numbers to get more than just a taste. It looks as if 2015 may be my best year ever for edible fungi. I have been finding Oysters fairly steadily since May.I have spots where I can harvest Oyster well up into December if the temperatures are favorable.

Shaggy Manes are always numerous throughout the rainy season of October. It looks as if we are going to have a very nice hunting season for the next few months.I harvested these Chicken of the Woods and Oysters in about 45 minutes on Backbone Mountain in Tucker County this morning.

(c) 2015 High Virginia Outdoors  Photo (c) High Virginia Images ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment