Monday, October 18, 2010

Colorful Caterpillar

Brown-Hooded Owlet
I had nearly given up looking for interesting caterpillars, for the season.  But was given a welcome gift this morning.  I have not seen this species in about five years.  I make sure and look for it, anytime that I am around members of the Aster family.
This is the Brown-hooded Owlet (Cucullia convexipennis). It feeds on members of the composite family. I never expected to find one on October 19th. This species could be the most colorful caterpillar of our region. The moth is dull brown and ugly.
I need to go out and get some better shots of this one, if the wind will stop blowing. I also just remembered that I do not have any Woolly Bear photos.
So if your looking for something to do, go out and explore your surroundings, you never know what you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment