Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Migratory Visitors

Field Sparrow
The past two weeks have been good for observing birds; during their fall migration. I have seen several species, here in my yard. As of today, I still have Ruby-throated Hummingbirds present. October 12 is the latest date that I have recorded for hummers in the past. Today is the 12th. they will not be present, much longer. Yesterday evening, I had a large flight of Chipping Sparrows, there were more than 50 individuals here feeding on weed seeds. I searched the flock, trying to find something rare. I had hoped to find Clay-colored Sparrows, Lincolns or anything else; but alas there were only a couple of Field Sparrows mixed with the flock. White-throated Sparrows are beginning to show up in the area also. I had an Ovenbird, staying here for a week. It headed further South on Saturday. Several Pine Siskins and Purple Finches made their appearance on October 4th and some have decided to hang around for awhile.

I have had a steady trickle of warblers, over the past two weeks. Black-throated Green, Blackpoll, Black and White, Tennessee, Yellow-rumped and Cape May Warblers have been present. Ruby-crowned Kinglets showed up on Saturday. For some reason, I had several Scarlet Tanagers; which I had not seen all Summer.

It is prime time to get out the binoculars and take a leisurely stroll through the countryside. Enjoy the fall colors and hopefully encounter a bird; which you have never seen before. You never know what may show up. Go out a search out that song you have never heard before; it may be something good.
A Field Guide to Warblers of North America (Peterson Field Guide)
Sparrows of the United States and Canada: The Photographic Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment