Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Still No Monarchs

I leave numerous milkweeds around my garden and normally have several Monarch butterflies hatching in my yard. My milkweed is just about finished blooming and I still haven't seen any caterpillar activity. I have only seen 2 Monarchs hurriedly flying through the yard. It sure doesn't look as if we are going to have much butterfly production around here.
I did see 2 Spicebush Swallowtails  laying eggs on my Sassafras, last week. This has been a slow year for butterfly photography. I sure hope that it picks up as the Summer progresses.

I checked out my favorite butterfly/milkweed spot on Backbone Mountain last week and there was nothing present; except for little wasps, bees and flies. The milkweed was blooming and in normal years; the area is teaming with Monarchs. I guess that we will have to wait and see if anything shows up.


Photos (c) High Virginia Images

No comments:

Post a Comment