Friday, July 29, 2011

Something Is Wrong

This is my joe-pye weed on August 2, 2010. It is in the same stage of bloom today and there was one Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and one Silver-spotted Skipper. I do have two Spicebush Swallowtails and a couple of Pearl Crescents. That is pretty much the whole show. This is without a doubt the worst year for butterflies that I have seen. On the bright side, I have numerous Hummingbird Clear-wings; more than I have ever seen.
I do not know what has happened, but something isn't right. There were quite a few tiger swallowtails here this Spring; when the Yellow Poplar was beginning to leaf out. They have since disappeared. I didn't even have very many Cabbage Whites bothering my cabbage and broccoli. I hope they don't return later to devastate my kale. I have seen a couple of sulphurs and a few Least Skippers; fluttering around. There were two Eastern Commas' in the compost pile this morning. I am hoping for a strong late-season performance from the butterflies. I have a lot of milkweed out there; going to waste.


Photos by High Virginia Images (c) All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment