Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Wonder Why


I am puzzled as to why this Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia) would choose to lay her eggs on an alunimum porch ceiling; instead of a host plant? I found her laying eggs this evening. Host plants for this species are sunflower,cherry,maple and willow. There are numerous cherry and maple trees within site of this location. There are cherry trees within 15 yards. Nature tends to make the observant one wonder..

(c) High Virginia Images  All Rights Reserved 2012

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, interesting! I am glad you posted this pic because I've notices similar looking eggs appearing on the clothes that I hang out on the line to dry. I had no clue what was leaving them there - but now I've got a clue! Not sure it's the same species because the color of the eggs aren't as green as what is in your picture, but the eggs look the same so it must be a moth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, when I lived in MD about everytime you put cloths on the line they would have some egg masses on them. If I remember right, they were usually yellow. But sometimes they would be clear. The color in this photo is accurate. It is let's say a pale Luna Moth green.

    ReplyDelete