Friday, June 29, 2012

They Got That One Right !

I was sitting out in the edge of my yard on Tuesday and a little yellow butterfly fluttered by. I had never seen a yellow butterfly that was smaller than the normal sulphur species'. I managed to chase it down and get a good look as it stopped on some white clover.

I went into the house to get my camera; of course the camera was outside in the truck on the other side of the house. Just as standard procedure plays out the little butterfly was nowhere to be found when I returned.

Often, when you look something unfamiliar up; you wonder how they came up with a name for something. Not in this case; they finally got one right. It was a Little Yellow (Eurema lisa) butterfly. It is more common in WV in the southern counties and along the Ohio River. I am pretty sure that I have never seen one around here. We may notice more smaller butterflies this year, since there doesn't seem to be many big ones around.

Posted by High Virginia Outdoors  (c) 2012 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment