Saturday, June 2, 2012

That Clouser Thump

I decided to celebrate the end of the WVDNR's annual food dispersal program this morning and go fishing for a little while. I knew that there would not be anyone else out there; since they have finally quit stocking. Flags were flying straight out when I got to Elkins. I almost turned around, but decided to just go to Bowden, instead of heading up on Cheat Mountain. I knew that with the wind and the cold front the fishing would be slow and the trout would be hugging the bottom.

I arrived on the Shavers Fork and tied on a pair of Clouser Minnows. These are my favorite flies; when the fishing is though. It has been a long time since I have had a chance to actually fly fish. Probably 4 years other than stop and cast a few times. I entered the river and the water was nicely cool for June. The wind was howling upstream. I crossed the river to a split on the other side, which was protected from the wind; slightly. Casting was difficult with my 5 weight rod and a pair of weighted flies. On my third cast; there it was, that clouser thump. It has been a long time since I have felt that. Nice fish, too. I fished the section thoroughly and had only one other strike. The wind picked up and I was hitting myself with the flies, as often as they were hitting the water. But; it was really nice to fish for a hour and a half and not be bothered by others. I'm glad that the fish trucks are finished. Now; maybe the rest of us can catch a few fish !

Posted by High Virginia Outdoors  Photos by High Virginia Images (c)2012 All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day of fishing even though it was windy and you didn't get a whole lot of trout. You did get something and had some solitude time to enjoy. Nice photographs also :)

    ReplyDelete