Sunday, September 28, 2014

Things Change

The first week of September was coming to a close and I was accepting the fact that I wasn't going to get any Chicken of the Woods this year. I always have found most of them during the first week of July and the first week of September. Not this year. the only little skillet full that I had was in late May. I didn't have any trouble finding these mushrooms on just about every trip; my problem was that they were all way too old when I found them.

I have found a lot during the last 7 days or so and now have close to twenty pounds of frozen Chicken of the Woods. They will sure make our seven month winter a little more tolerable. I have yet to find ANY oyster mushrooms this year. You would think that with all of the rotting stumps in this country they should be everywhere. I an hoping that our fall rains will result in a good bloom before everything freezes up. Shaggy Manes should be popping up soon, too. Yep, things can quickly change; if you don't give up.

Note: To freeze Chicken of the Woods you must first saute them in olive oil or butter and then freeze them Chicken broth is another simmering option. Try whatever you want, but they must be heated before freezing.


 (c) 2014 High Virginia Outdoors Photos (c) High Virginia Images All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment