Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Discovering Dragonflies

Male Common Whitetail
I was recently blessed with my discovery of Dragonflies and Damsels. I don't know why it took so long but I guess I just really never paid much attention to them. Yeah, there were big ones and little ones; bright ones and dull ones. But, I really never took time to look. During a short 30 minute time frame in August; I took photos of 8 different species and never moved more than 20 feet. Wow!

Got you thinking now, don't I? There are around 130-140 different species that may be possibly found in West Virginia. I am going to start out with one of our most common Odonata. The Common Whitetail (Libellula lydia) is a thick, stocky dragonfly that may be found statewide near any muddy bottomed pond, river or stream.It prefers to perch on a horizontal position on logs or rocks. The photo of the male was taken at Mill Creek Reservoir in Barbour County, WV. The female photo was taken at Condon Run in the Otter Creek Wilderness Area of Randolph County, WV.

Female Common Whitetail
 (c) 2014 High Virginia Outdoors Photos (c)2014 High Virginia Images All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment