Tuesday, June 24, 2014

High Tech Rain Gauge ?

Nope. I was riding through the campground area of lower Glady Fork on Sunday and saw what I first thought was someone's rain gauge that they had left behind. I was wondering why anyone would take such a fancy looking instrument on a camping trip; just for a few days. I figured that it had to be a fairly expensive water collection device.

I walked over for a closer look. It is a Southern Pine Bark Beetle trap This is just another in the long line of pest species that we do not need getting established in our area. I didn't see anything in or around the trap except for ants. That is a good thing. I lived in Southern Pine Bark Beetle country for several years. I do not believe that they could withstand the winters in this area. I know that I have had about all of them I can stand.

(c) High Virginia Outdoors 2014 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment