Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Slow Down

I hate to drive anywhere on a warm, rainy Spring night.  I usually get that bad feeling in my stomach; that same bad feeling that I get when I see other injustices which I am powerless to fix.  I am speaking of the masses of squished frogs, toads and salamanders on our highways and byways.  Actually the flattened ones are not as bothersome as all of the broken up and mutilated ones trying; with all of the power left in their dying bodies, to reach their breeding grounds.

When possible; I find myself slowing to a crawl and weaving around the visible amphibians.  I have been most anywhere that you can get to; around here.  Believe me when I say that there isn't any destination that you need to be in a rush to get to.  They always say to stop and smell the roses.  I am now saying to slow down and enjoy the toads.  They need your help and consideration.

Many people; when behind the wheel see nothing.  Some are observant and see everything around. Many of these things would bring joy and satisfaction to others; if they would only take the time and give it a chance.  Just slow down, give the wonders of nature a chance for survival; you will be rewarded.

From High Virginia Outdoors 

Peterson Field Guides; Eastern Reptiles and Amphibians
The Calls of Frogs and Toads

No comments:

Post a Comment